Sunday, August 7, 2011

Sippy Cup Review

Due to our hellish experience of finding a sippy cup Madeline would actually use, I am providing this review to hopefully save some of you from wasting as much money as I did.

Let me preface this by stating that Madeline was not in love with her bottle by any means.  She hardly drank out of that either.  I guess she was just super slow in coming around to the cup, thus causing me to spend probably $100 on cups.


First up we have the Munchkin first cup.  This is a good cup for babies in that they can bite and chew on it and get some liquid out.  It is NOT good for preventing spills.  Madeline quickly learned how to shake and press down on the spout so it spilled everywhere.  We didn't use these often and tossed them.  


Next we tried the original cup that I used with Brooke:  The Playtex First Sipster.  LOVE this cup.  They do have to suck on it to get liquid out, but it does not spill and is a very sturdy cup.  Took Madeline a while to warm up to it, but we are still using it!  I would recommend this cup.


Next we tried the Dr.Brown's cup.  I liked this because the spout is tiny.  Madeline had issues with giant fat spouts so this one was good.  Another bonus is that it has ounces marked on the side so you can actually see how much they are drinking.  This was critical for me since she was drinking almost nothing for a lot time.





I then decided we needed to try a straw cup.  I bought the Playtex Grip n Go first straw.  At first I thought these were great because you can squeeze the middle of the cup and it pushes some liquid out of the straw to help them suck.  However, this same mechanism somehow causes pressure in the cup so when you put it down the liquid will just start pouring out of the top.  Tossed this cup as well for that reason only.  I have enough to clean up!


I then wanted to try a Gerber cup.  Brooke loved these so I bought the Gerber Sip N Smile.  I would say these are horrible for early sippy cup drinkers.  I even had a hard time sucking out of it!  Now at 15 months old this is one of my favorite cups for Madeline, but under 12 months she could not get anything out of it. 

I then went a different route and bought cups that were not out when Brooke was little.  Tommee Tippee is new to me so I decided to try their Closer to Nature cup.  It has a soft spout but they actually have to suck out of it to get liquid.  My favorite again is the ounces marked on the side to track it!  They are easy to clean since they don't have a multiple parts and very light and easy to hold.  One of our favorites!







I liked that cup so much that I bought the bigger version which we also love!  They only spill if you throw them (and Madeline is a little rougher than most...).  It's the Tommee Tippee Explorer First Sippee.

Okay we still have a few more to go :)  These we have had forever but I figured I would review them since I love that they do not have spout connectors and are easy to clean.  They also NEVER leak.  Props to the First Years Sippy Cups!



During our sippy cup crisis I came across the Tilty Cup.  The concept is awesome.  The inside is angled so they don't have to tip the cup practically upside down to get the liquid to the spout.  These are great but I would recommend they are only for high chair use.  They leak terribly and if thrown they will bust open and spill the entire contents onto the floor.  I know this from experience.






By this point I was getting desperate.  Can you tell? LOL.  I ended up buying the Playtex little gripper sippy cup.  They are bigger and have grip indentations on the cup so its easier to hold.  The spout is smaller which I like, but for some reason these leak if you don't close them just right.  We still use them though.  They have not annoyed me to the point of throwing them away yet.


 This is a cup I am not thrilled with but bought it on clearance at Babies R Us.  It's a stainless steel cup by Munchkin.  I can already tell its going to break and don't recommend buying it.  The silver part that the lid screws onto is already loose and you have to hold it in order for the lid to screw on.  Buyers Beware!
Now here are the two cups that worked the best for Madeline and ironically are nothing new and fancy.   Just goes to show that the newer things don't necessarily mean they are better.




First up is the Take N  Toss cups.  They are not spill proof, but are easy and work great in a pinch.  They are also easy to clean.  We of course have the Princess version.


Last but not least is the Playtex  Sipster.  Very basic design but Madeline finally turned the corner and we dropped the bottle completely after buying these cups.


So there is my short but sweet sippy cup review.  I never thought I would have a kid give me so much trouble over drinking (out of a bottle or cup!) so I hope this helps someone out!  It will also save you a ton of money :)

1 comment:

  1. Playtex Grip n Go first straw. I wanted to see if you still had the cup due to I have a special needs child same color pink with handles with the grooves.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...